The Regina Symphony Orchestra offers an Elementary RSO in Schools program that is interactive, fun, and meets Saskatchewan Ministry of Education prescribed learning outcomes.
Due to social distancing restrictions the RSO will be delivering a video recording of the elementary program titled “The Crow’s Prophecy” . This performances shows how music can tell stories, express ideas, and share emotions. Through a series of activities and demonstrations, these ideas are consolidated through the telling of “The Crow’s Prophecy”. “The Crow’s Prophecy” is the make-believe story of how principal oboe, Tamsin Johnson, began playing the oboe. This program will also include a study guide which provides guided listening, historical information, lesson plans, and activities related to each piece in the performance. To maintain the interactive quality of this program, individual musicians will video conference with each class/school to demonstrate their instrument, speak about their musical experiences, answer questions, and interact directly with students.
RSO in Schools Elementary Program
The RSO in Schools concert is an interactive, live orchestral music experience for students in grades 1-7. During the RSO in Schools concert students will engage directly with musicians, ask questions, learn about music, instruments, composers, and have fun! The goals of the RSO in School program are to:
- Introduce students to orchestral artistic expression, including:
- Instruments and instrument families
- Ways of generating sound on each instrument
- Composers and important orchestral repertoire
- Components of music (dynamics, timbre, articulation, tempo)
- Real life examples to contextualize concepts and ideas taught in the classroom.
- Music Literacy
For more information about this performance, pricing, or to schedule a performance contact Shawn Earle, RSO Education and Outreach Manager
What to Expect at an RSO in Schools Elementary Concert
The RSO in Schools concerts are interactive performances for young people. The Regina Symphony Chambers Players perform a concert that will be educational, featuring live orchestral music, learning about music and composers, audience participation, storytelling, and fun!
- RSO in Schools performances run about 40 minutes.
- Prior to the concert, teachers will receive a RSO in Schools Elementary Study Guide. The study guide includes a program description, lesson plans, guided listening, descriptions of instruments of the orchestra, and much more.
- The concert will include a mix of storytelling, activities, and instrument demonstrations featuring Regina Symphony musicians.