Link Up is an interactive music experience for Grades 3–6 students in Regina and southern Saskatchewan. Students learn songs to sing and play on recorder throughout the winter semester culminating in an interactive concert at the Conexus Arts Centre with the RSO! More than 3,000 students and teachers from five school divisions participate each year, many experiencing a live orchestra for the first time.
Link Up is offered by the RSO in partnership with Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute in New York City. Since 2003 Carnegie Hall has been supporting orchestras worldwide to present Link Up by providing high quality resources, professional development, music, and concert programs. Link Up includes four different programs which are rotated each year:
- Link Up: The Orchestra Moves
- Link Up: The Orchestra Sings
- Link Up: The Orchestra Rocks
- Link Up: The Orchestra Swings
The RSO will perform The Orchestra Sings in the 2019–2020 season. More details about all the Link Up programs are available here.
How to register for Link Up
Information about registration for the 2020–2021 Link Up concert will be available on this page in June. For more information about Link Up and registration contact Shawn Earle, RSO Education and Outreach Manager.
More details about registration, professional development, and important Link Up dates will be added to this site as planning continues for the 2020–2021 Link Up concerts.
Resources for Link Up Teachers
There are a wealth of resources available for teachers and students participating in the Link Up concert:
- Professional Development Day led by RSO musicians
- Teacher and Student Learning Guide—includes the music that will be sung and played in the Link Up concert, lesson planning, and teaching tips
- Web resources and recordings
- A phone call with an RSO musician—an RSO musician will phone you to answer any questions you might have
- RSO musician classroom visit—an RSO musician will come to your school and work with you and your students on Link Up repertoire
- Music Educators Toolbox—Lesson plans, activities, assessment, tools, and videos
- Connect with other Link Up teachers worldwide in the “Carnegie Hall Link Up” Facebook group
Saskatchewan Ministry of Education Curriculum Outcomes
Link Up meets the Arts Education Creative/Productive, Critical/Responsive, and Cultural/Historical prescribed learning outcomes in the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education Curriculum.
Cost to Schools and Teachers
Professional Development – $15/teacher
Concert $5.25/ Student (1 free chaperone/10 students)