Winner of the 2019 Shurniak Competition, up-and-coming Regina cellist Jonathan Craig Penner is the soloist in the effervescent, vibrant, and invigorating Saint-Saëns Cello Concerto No. 1. The second half of the program contrasts Prokofiev’s youthful, renegade Symphony No. 1 which borrows its structure from the Classical era with Mozart’s final symphonic masterpiece. Birdsongs colour Canadian composer Jocelyn Morlock’s evocative Oiseaux Bleus et exotiques.
- Jocelyn Morlock Oiseaux blues et exotiques
- Saint-Saëns Concerto No. 1 in A minor for violoncello and orchestra Op. 33
- Prokofiev Symphony No. 1 in D major Op. 25 “Classical”
- Mozart Symphony No. 41 in C major K. 551 “Jupiter”
- Gordon Gerrard conductor
- Jonathan Craig Penner cello