Position: Production Manager
Organization: Regina Symphony Orchestra
Reports to: Executive Director
The Regina Symphony Orchestra (RSO) presents live orchestral music and music education to enrich life for citizens in southern Saskatchewan. Moving into its 108th season, the RSO is a full-scale orchestra that makes a valuable contribution to the cultural fabric in our province.
The Production Manager manages and supervises all aspects of the concert production events of the RSO with particular focus on the technical aspects of staging, lighting, audio and guest artist logistics. The Production Manager takes responsibility for all staging requirements, including technical elements and physical conditions for the RSO in multiple venues. This position works with and supervises IATSE stagehands when needed and has manages relationships with musicians, guest artists, technical staff, venue providers, and other community partners.
- In consultation with the Music Director or conductor, and Executive Director, ensure the highest quality production of all concert events.
- Create and manage production documentation and stage plots.
- Plan, manage, and oversee all technical aspects relating to RSO productions inclusive of lighting, sound, and staging; site management for offsite and outdoor events; and tour management for run outs.
- Manage all production contracts, technical riders and guest artist itineraries.
- Advance contracts and technical riders with guest artists and/or their agents
- Works with the Executive Director and RSO staff to ensure that artist logistics are completed in a timely and professional way including but not limited to itineraries, transportation arrangements, hotel reservations, rehearsal orchestra, welcome packets, hospitality arrangements.
- Plan, manage and supervise all requirements for the instrument transportation associated with the RSO schedule including local concerts and run outs.
- Oversee and manage the maintenance and security of orchestral instruments and equipment.
- Manage bookings with the Conexus Arts Centre, or any other venue required for rehearsals and concerts.
- Liaise with, supervise and manage venue staging crews working on RSO productions at each of the venues used by the company
- In coordination with Conexus Arts Centre staff, take Responsibility for efficient, effective and cost smart hiring of contract and casual staging crews for concerts.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with workplace health & safety requirements.
- Serve as the administration representative on the RSO’s Occupational Health & Safety Committee
- Maintains a working knowledge of recording and AV agreements and advises on compliance with agreements when necessary.
- Oversee agreements with IATSE local 295 as per rental agreement with Conexus Arts Centre
- Establish and manage detailed budgets for all company productions and presentations on an annual basis. Closely monitor and report against such budgets on a monthly basis with particular attention to ensuring hiring and technical costs are aligned to budget.
- Perform other duties as required by the Executive Director.
- Ensure proper set-up and arrange the orchestra for concerts and events. This includes set of chairs, music stands, large instruments, guest artist requirements and other equipment. This will also include set changes for concerts, providing the best possible working conditions for musicians on and off stage, and assisting our staff in anticipating and managing logistical problems.
- Anticipate musician working condition concerns, such as temperature, lighting or safety; and effectively problem solve well in advance of any given service, in order that potential problems may be averted.
- Assist with planning and coordination of stage logistics in all venues, including load in/load out schedules.
- Assist technical staff in all concert production activities as assigned, including operation of lighting and sound equipment when no local stage crew is available.
- Load and unload the van for local transportation or run-outs and transfer stage equipment for all services.
- Maintain inventory of all our equipment, making periodic checks on conditions and performing minor repairs or arranging necessary repairs if needed.
- Attend staff meetings and production meetings, and maintain good communication and working relationships with all RSO staff.
- Contribute to the professional appearance of the orchestra on stage.
- Other duties as required by the Music Director and Executive Director, as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated success and experience in staging professional productions at the highest artistic level.
- Demonstrated success and experience in budgeting for professional productions.
- An excellent communicator, a team player and proven ability to work well with creative and artistic persons.
- Knowledge of lighting and audio equipment and their operation.
- Effective interpersonal problem solving.
- Ability to multitask well in a deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Proficient in MS Office applications and has experience and knowledge of IATSE regulations.
- Ability to lift, carry and move up to 50 lbs.
- Valid Saskatchewan driver’s license and good driving record.
- Minimum two years of orchestra or theater production experience
- Working knowledge of orchestral instruments and orchestral seating conventions.
- Demonstrated success in staging symphony orchestra concerts and events.
- A knowledge and interest in classical music.
Qualified applicants are asked to e-mail their resume including name, address, telephone number and email to:
Andrea Davison, Interim Executive Director, Regina Symphony Orchestra
Please include “Production Manager Application” in the subject line.