The Regina Symphony Orchestra (RSO) is a full scale professional orchestra led by the innovative and exciting Music Director, Gordon Gerrard. All of the RSO Musicians are members of the American Federation of Musicians. During a 39 week season, the orchestra rehearses and performs for: a pre-season outdoor concert, eight Masterworks concerts, five Pops concerts, two Kids concerts, six Chamber concerts, and two Special concerts including perennial favourite, Handel's Messiah.
Through their professional performances, the RSO Musicians make a valuable contribution to the cultural fabric of southern Saskatchewan. The musicians live and raise their families in Regina and surrounding areas. However, many musicians pursue a variety of other professions while still maintaining their hectic orchestral schedule.
RSO Mission Statement
- Live orchestral music and music education enrich life in southern Saskatchewan.
RSO Core Strategies
- Maintain and expand the “RSO family” through engendering feelings of pride, commitment and a personal connection to the orchestra.
- Inspire a new generation and future audience to appreciate orchestral music through education and other opportunities for exposure and engagement.
- Pursue creative and innovative ways to enhance awareness, involvement and support from a growing and diversifying community.
RSO Core Strategy Outcomes
- Excellent Product Quality: High quality performances result in musicians, audiences and the community sharing a deep connection with the orchestra and its repertoire.
- Relevance: The community supports RSO performances and programs, and acknowledges that the RSO is a key contributing element to quality of life in the community.
- Sustainability: The RSO is a thriving organization, artistically and financially, sustained by a dedicated and engaged “family” of supporters.